Thanks to @jshuey I came across this exchange where different individuals (mostly developers) were asked to chime in calling out what is that they gained from participation in social networks / communities; it really made an interesting read and here my paraphrased summary of it in no particular order:
- It helps me stay centered, find others that are better at what I do than I am and allow me to learn from them.
- It allows me to tap into others people’s knowledge and get their help to answer my questions.
- Allows to identify and adopt best practices and proven ways to tackle common problems.
- Helps me learn what’s new, and how it is being applied.
- It expands my horizons beyond what I’d normally use/do at my daily activities.
- It allows me to share my expertise and be thanked/receive gratification for that help.
I don’t know about you; but in my opinion the above are great gains for any discipline and/or profession.
What do you think?